Google on Tuesday launched a Search feature called People cards in India that will allow people to build an online presence and discover others on the search page. This new search feature enables people or businesses who wants to be easily discovered online create a virtual visiting card which highlight their website or social profiles and add other information they want people to know.
The virtual card refers to as people’s card feature is aimed at helping individuals, influencers, entrepreneurs, prospective employees, self-employed people, freelancers and anyone who want to be discovered and help the world find them.
This feature is first introduced in India, due to the high rate at which people in the world’s second largest internet market looked up their own names on the search engine. Furthermore, the people cards currently only available on mobile and only supports English.
How to make People card on Google
- From your smartphone, open your browser and log in to their Google account.
- Tap on the “add me to Search” option that appears on the page. The users must then click on the prompt that appears.
- To build the people’s card, upload an image of yourself from your Google account, add a description and links to social profiles or websites, and if they so wish, phone number and email ID. Google states that users must remember that the more information they provide on their virtual visiting cards, the easier it would be for people to look for them.
- You can click on ‘preview’ to view what your visiting card would look like.
- Tap on the “save” option, after which a ‘success’ message would appear on the browser screen when the visiting card becomes live on Google.
According to Google, for every new card, the user must authenticate the account with a unique mobile number. He/she will have complete control of the information to be included on the card and can opt-out of the experience anytime, which will stop their details from appearing in Search.
How secure is People Cards?
The company said it has put in place several measures to curb potential misuse of the new feature. one of it is the ability to create only a virtual visiting card per Google account. Google also confirmed there are number of mechanisms to protect against abusive or spammy content, and in case of low quality information or a card that is believed to be created by an impersonator, observer can tap the feedback link to notify Google.
The People card information is aimed at helping users distinguish people when they search for people with the same names. For people who share the same name, the Search will show multiple modules, and the unique information can help users distinguish between different individuals to find accurate information.
According to Lauren Clark, Product Manager for Search at Google, the people card can be deleted at any time you no longer want your people card to appear in Search.
Above all, this feature lets Google access a lot of information about users in a digitized and planned manner. It could help the company build its AI algorithms as well, and improve its information on users.