Apparently, Whatsapp is a blessing to every organization, groups and click of friends. While the purpose of WhatsApp groups is to establish collective conversations with others, it can also be an headache especially when you are added to irrelevant group that add no information or value to you.
At first when this feature was created Whatsapp see no reason to add a restricting settings, however, as time goes on and people start misusing this opportunity the company see there is the need for people to make personal decision to either be add to a whatsapp group or not. Until now, the only way to stop being added was to block the group’s admin.
This feature settings is available both on iOS and Android. WhatsApp claims that viral or ‘highly forwarded’ messages on the platform have been reduced by around 70 per cent since the app introduced new forwarding limits. This shows how annoying most messages shared on this group chat have been in the past.
Furthermore, whatsapp has added other new features to prevent misinformation and the like but before we divert lets see the tricks to stop people from adding you to whatsapp groups.
The first important thing is to make sure you are using the latest whatsapp, if not download now.
Steps to Stop People From Adding You to WhatsApp Groups.
Open WhatsApp on your phone and tap on the three dots at the top-right corner of the screen.
- Click on Settings from the menu– The settings is the last of the 5 listed features.
- Click on Account– On this page you will see different features which can later be of help to you if you have not setup your whatsapp account. Including how you can secure you past massages with the end-to-end-encryption, the two- step verification to secure your account from Hackers, change your number from old forgotten one, request account information, or how to delete your account.
- Click on Privacy– This is where your privacy is configured. You can set to allow people see the last time you were seen, who sees your profile picture, about you, your online or offline status, let people see your location or unblock or block contact.
- Click on Groups– This is the exact place we are going. Here you see three options of everyone, my contact, and my contact except.
Everyone– when this section is clicked it means you are giving everyone, both your contact and people you don’t even know to add you to the group of their liking.
My contact– This section means only contacts in your phone’s address book can add you to groups without your approval. If a group admin who’s not in your phone’s address book tries to add you to a group, they’ll get a pop-up that says they can’t add you and will be prompted to tap Invite to Group or press Continue, followed by the send button, to send a private group invite through an individual chat. You’ll have three days to accept the invite before it expires.
My contact Except– this is the section means only contacts in your phone’s address book, except those you exclude, can add you to groups without your approval. After selecting My Contacts Except… you can search for or select contacts to exclude. If a group admin you exclude tries to add you to a group, they’ll get a pop-up that says they can’t add you and will be prompted to tap Invite to Group followed by the send button to send a private group invite through an individual chat. You’ll have three days to accept the invite before it expires.
- Click on DONE or press OK to save the changes.
When an invitation is been sent to you whatsapp gives the liberty of three days to accept the invite before it expires. In those cases, an admin who can’t add you to a group will be prompted to send a private invite through an individual chat, giving you the choice of joining the group.
With these new features, users will have more control over the group messages they receive. These new privacy settings will begin rolling out to some users starting today and will be available worldwide in the coming days to those using the latest version of WhatsApp.
It is important to note that Group privacy settings aren’t available on WhatsApp Web or Desktop. hence, the settings can only be set on your smartphone
Before this glorify privacy setting is introduced some of us are already in the web of irrelevant group chats. Explained below is how to leave a whatsapp group.
How to Leave a WhatsApp Group Chat
- Open your Whatsapp
- Click on the Whatsapp group you want to leave
- Tap on the three dots at the top-right corner of the screen.
- Click on More- This section consist of five options which includes report the group, Exit the group, clear your chat history, export chat and add shortcut.
- Click On Exit Group- By clicking on this option you will leave the group but a notification will be sent on the group to inform the other member of your action.
If you exit a group, you’ll be removed from the group. However, you’ll still see the group in your CHATS tab and be able to read the chat history. If you’re the only group admin and you exit a group, a participant is chosen at random to become the new admin.
In other to stop seeing the group again on your list you nee to delete the group. When you delete the group, you’ll no longer see the group in your CHATS tab and the chat history will be erased. To delete a group after exiting a group follow the step below:
How to Delete a Group Chat
- Open your Whatsapp
- Click on the Whatsapp group you just leave
- Tap and hold the group in the CHATS tab
- Click Delete group
So, there you go. These simple steps can certainly help you in stopping endless irrelevant messages.